Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Poetry Slams





Poetry slams are a way to let writers express themselves by sharing their words and voices to other people. These Slams are not just coming on stage and reading off a sheet a paper; it's memorizing your poem, digesting, and belching it out through a rhythmic song. The poems are long, yet have deep meanings about: Racism, Culture, government, community, or any personal conflicts. By using your voice, hands, and emotions can allow your audience to "feel" the power and message behind the poem, that wouldn't be as affective if it was written on paper.



Even though I'm a storyteller and poet, I have never entered a poetry slam. You have to be vulnerable, put yourself out there emotional, creating a beat, which has a flow as if you were rapping or singing your words. Maybe one day I'll be able to slam, but for now I will watch others perform, and hopefully that will give me courage. The slammers I will like to show you: Sarah Kay and Oscar Brown Jr. were featured on the HBO series Def Poetry Jam. It ran for six years, created by music producer Russell Simmons (Def Jam Records), and hosted by hip hop artist/actor Mos Def. It showed cased up and coming poets as well as guest appearances from celebrities such as: Common, Lauryn Hill, and Jill Scott. Right now DeF Poetry Jam is Touring in L.A.



I think the poem "Hands", is simple, yet deep. Hands are a way we can express ourselves emotional, spiritually; or violently in our everyday lives. Other slam poems of Sarah Kay's are: "B", and "Jellyfish".

Another slam poet I will like to show you is the late Oscar Brown Jr,who was raised on the South side of Chicago, IL. He was a civil rights activist, poet, and singer/songwriter. Though he died in 2005 the messages embedded in his poetry is still shown among younger generations. Oscar's Poem I will like to share with you guys is "I Apologize," which is a dark yet, reflective piece of how it feels like to be a African American/Black in America.



I believe Slam Poetry allows writers to boost up their self-esteem, realizing their thoughts and opinions do matter, which connect with people all over the world.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post. It's a shame you couldn't embed and link. In fact, one of your links is dead. If you don't already, always check those after you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of the video bar, but I feel like shifting focus to poetry AND music gets kind of confusing. (Though all the choices are really sweet) I just think picking one or the other would help streamline the blog...

    ReplyDelete