Saturday, November 21, 2009

Words of Love

I came up with my poem "Words of Love," after reading Zora Neale Hurston's book Their Eyes Were Watching God, a story about a biracial woman named Janie Crawford who goes on a journey to discovery her own identity in the 1930's. My poem is about her relationship with a man named Tea Cake, who inspires her sexually, spiritually; creating feelings of love she never expressed in her two former husbands.


All the next day in the house and store she thought resisting Tea Cake. She even ridiculed him in her mind and she was a little ashamed of the association. But every hour or two the battle had to be fought all over again. She couldn't make him look just like any other man to her, He looked like the thoughts of love for women. He could be a bee to a blossom, a pear tree blossom in the spring. He seemed to be crushing scent out of the world with his footsteps. Crushing aromatic herbs every step he took. Spices hung about him. He was a glance from God. (pg. 106)


Here's my poem:


I want us to peel off our mammal skin and be birds in the sky.

You're the milky way, the constellations that burst with sliver fire.

Me, I'm just relaxing in your orbit.


Words of Love don't come easy for me.

My throat closes up, and I drift away.

You're the anchor that keeps me grounded, soothing

the rough waves of my mind.


Words of Love don't come easy for me.

But when I'm with you, butterflies escape from

my mouth, bringing kisses to you.




No comments:

Post a Comment